9/21/07

So says my Generation.


Today, as I sat in my art class during A block, sipping a cup of coffee much like the one on the left, I couldn't help but overhear a conversation going on next to me. Two girls were talking to each other about their lives. As their conversation progressed, I felt this deep sorrow and compassion welling up inside of me. I didn't know how to react. Their stories were both so similar, each of them trying to fill the void that was in their hearts. I think that the thing that made me sad the most, was the fact that I had no idea that people all around me are more broken than I. God revealed to me something that I knew but not neccesarily understood. I know that my generation is falling, fast, but I didn't understand that it is happening all around me, all the time. To think about it baffles me...
The conversation between these two girls consisted of this:
#1- I hate my life... I don't want to go home because I know my dad is going to beat me tonight.
#2- Yah, me too... my dad doesnt beat me but my fiancee does.
#1- You're engaged???
#2- Yah! It's cool because he's the first boyfriend that hasnt cheated on me.
#1- Oh... I dont think I'm going to have any fun this weekend.
#2- Why?
#1- Well it's my birthday, but i dont think anyone will show up, i dont have many friends. It's my sweet 16 party too... I will probably just stay home and do nothing. Do my eyes look red?
#2- no not really, why?
#1- Well, I was crying this morning because of things at home.
#2- Oh, I'm sorry... this moring sucked for me too, my dad woke me up at 4 in the morning asking me if i knew where his boots were. Then I couldnt sleep and to make it worse my kids got woken up.
#1- You have kids too?
#2- Yah, a five and a three year old. I've had several abortions and miscarraiges too. This one time, at my old school in houston, this girl that I thought was my friend kicked me down the stairs when she found out I was 2 monthes pregnant with her ex-boyfriends child. She ran down the stairs after me and kicked me to the floor and then kicked me stomache over and over and over. Needless to say, I lost that kid. I think I've been pregnant 4 or 5 times before besides with the two kids I have now.
#1- All different guys?
#2- Yah, I aborted 3 of them and miscarried 2. It was such a hassel.
#1- I know how that is, not getting an abortion but the hassel of your boyfriend having to sleep with you when you dont want to just because he has an "urge"...
#2- Yah, my cousin went through that...she has a kid too. She's really depressed now and even when she was pregnant, and she became anorexic when she found out and she started cutting herself and she still cuts herself. Once, I was baby sitting her kid and he asked me why his mom was always hurt and sick. It was hard to explain, but after I told him why, he said ok and just went to his room. He's like six or something.
#1- I cut myself sometimes too...
Some of this is hard to read, I know...I had to listen to this for an hour and a half. This is only a small portion of what they talked about.
As the block slowly progressed, I got sadder and sadder, hearing the brokeness of these two beautiful and potentially great girls. Lately, at home, I have found so much to complain about and after hearing what these girls go through everyday, I realized that I am a complete and total idiot for thinking I had it bad. I am so blessed to have sibblings who love me and who actually care about my well being. I am so blessed to have a mom who loves me, who cares about me, and who cares about our family. As I sat there, a chilling realization sank into my heart... this is how my generation really is. They are dying whether we recognise it or choose to acknowledge it or not.
Today, God called me to do something, not just sit there quietly while two young people die. How can I serve those girls, who obviously dont get any respect, love or affection from anywhere? What can I do to make a difference in their lives? Why do I not do something? Why do we not do anything to help? What is our purpose if not this? To show the love of Christ to the widow and the fatherless, to the homeless and to the broken.
I challenge you to find a couple people this year at school, at work or even at home, to love and serve and put above yourself... people who genuinly need the love of Christ.
This morning changed my perception and my perspective. I know that I was not sitting next to those girls randomly. I also know that God has something BIG planned and all I am called to do is Obey His Word.
So what has God said to you??? Will you choose to obey it??? I love that God has given us free will because that makes the adventure all the more exciting...

1 comment:

joshandkarlee said...

Elyxis, you are amazing! Thank you for speaking the heart of God to your peers and even to your leaders...thank you for responding to that morning just as the Holy Spirit led you to...thank you for walking by faith and not in fear. I love you!