2/1/12

It Was the Best of Times..

It sure has been a long time since I have written on this thing! It's funny how life can sneak up on you and begin to take all your time and store it away in a back pocket that you forget to check. Time is a mysterious thing to me. It goes by fast and it takes so long to pass. It's one of those love-hate-relationship things. When you want the time to pass, it likes to creep along, and when you want time to stand still, it likes to get all crazy and before you know it, it's gone.

Time so often likes to bat for the opposing team. It leaves you scrambling to figure out how you feel. It keeps you on your toes.

In the end, I think the joke is actually on us. I know I spend so much time trying to tell time what to do, when in all reality time hasn't given it one thought, and it likely never will. Time cannot change its agenda because of my desires or anyone else's for that matter.

I have come to realize over the past months how much I have focussed all of my energy and attention and expectation and (dare I say it) my affection on the time. "I can't wait for this time of life." or "I wish this relationship would last forever." or "This season better be over soon." or "Why does it take so long." The list goes on.

Jesus has began to reveal to me another area of my life that is both yes and no. Another paradox that seems to bring the tug of war rope to a complete stand still. It's not gonna budge. However, the tension felt by the two seemingly opposite ends of the spectrum create a beautiful revelation.

It's not really about time at all and it's also all about time, or rather the One who holds all of time in his hand.

The message a couple weekends ago at our church was incredible, look it up at thecity.org. Pastor Judah talked about how it is biblical and Gods desire for us to look into the future with expectation and excitement. I feel like I'm pretty good at this, if you even know me a little bit, I am always excited about what's coming next and what life will bring in the future.

The other end of this brilliant spectrum is God's desire for us to be content and thankful for where we are and where he has us. This is the part that I'm not as good at. I'm sure there are many people who find themselves in the same boat.

So what now?

It's in His hands.

All I know is that I'm so thankful for where I'm at and someday I want to get better at always being that way.


With much love from this rainy, rainy, RAINY city,
Elyxis

No comments: